[PSUBS-MAILIST] inside battery

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Feb 20 14:08:03 EST 2017

I am sure glad I asked about this, it was bothering me enough to remove the batteries and it was a big job to install the system.Hank

    On Monday, February 20, 2017 10:43 AM, k6fee via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

Hank,
Oil is very difficult to ignite without a wick or some means of vaporizing it. Put some in a can and throw matches into it and see. Has to do with the flash point of the oil. Kerosene, diesel, jet fuel, etc. All have a flash point near 400 degrees while gasoline is around 100.
Keith T

-------- Original message --------From: hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> Date: 2/20/17 9:25 AM (GMT-08:00) To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] inside battery
Thanks' guys that is very helpful.  My reason for keeping the boxes full of oil is,, if the cable contacts come loose, they can spark, if they are flooded with oil the spark is harmless.  In Gamma's history, that happened, a spark made the hydrogen pop and it bent the floor board.  The oil displaces all the air in the box, that means the hydrogen bubbles will just form a hydrogen bubble between the membrane and the oil.  I can vent that off every time I charge the batteries.   The sub will not have any more O2 in it than the atmosphere  plus or minus 2% alarms will go off and I would adjust the level or surface immediately.  I guess if there cars a catastrophic failure with my O2 tank the pressure inside could reach a couple psi, but is that an issue?  I have never personally heard of a tank failing.   Thank again, big relief.Hank