[PSUBS-MAILIST] inside battery

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Feb 20 16:29:16 EST 2017

Sean,That is a great idea, I will look into that.  I like it!  The hydrogen is not eliminated, it is simply captured so to speak, in the form of a bubble on top of the oil and actually right under the fill cap .  I can leave the fill cap open when charging.   I would not even consider building battery pods again for a sub.  The cost and time to build is not worth it.  In the old days it was important maybe, because there was only one choice for batteries.   Flooding batteries is so easy and cheap and a very significant weight reducer, when faced with buying foam to support  batteries is just not cost effective.  A large shallow diving sub with a big volume may be different of coarse.  In that case I would go with AGM batteries inside.  Hank