[PSUBS-MAILIST] S101

Wed Feb 22 13:55:40 EST 2017

The valves need to be as close as practicable to the hull penetration, but "practicable" has to take into account accessibility and ergonomics of operation in addition to mere distance. Having elbows, nipples, short tubes or similar fittings in order to facilitate a streamlined assembly or useful valve orientation wouldn't bother me in the least, provided that you don't mechanically load the intermediate fitting(s), meaning that valves have to be mounted or otherwise constrained so that grabbing the valve in a panic doesn't load those fitting(s). I would also give due consideration to the fact that failure of those intermediate fittings would likely be catastrophic, and design with heavier wall thicknesses or pressure ratings in those sections than working pressures would demand.

Downstream of your hull shutoff valve, your piping needs to be appropriately designed to operating pressures. Upstream of the hull shutoff valve, it needs to be bombproof.

Sean