[PSUBS-MAILIST] elec thru hulls

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jan 23 12:12:50 EST 2017

Brian,As a rule I use threaded rods for the reason I mentioned and what James mentioned.  I like to bolt the wires on but I see in your case that may be tricky with the ID of the hose being in the way.  I thread the fitting all the way to the shoulder to increase surface area for the epoxy.  I have not solderd wires on, I make my own crimps and shrink tube if I am not bolting.  That is because as a rule my thrusters are meant to be jettisoning, at least on Elementary.  Gamma has the escape pod so I am not as worried.  Also James makes the best point, epoxy can NOT handle heat AT all.   You might be able to bolt your wires on if your three penetrating rods are different lengths.  This way the connections are not in the same spot inside the hose, maybe?  It is pretty easy to make crimps, I just take a rod and drill the size to match the wire and the rod and slip on and crush.
Hank