[PSUBS-MAILIST] coax

Wed Jan 25 19:42:16 EST 2017

Provided you are using a common monopole (whip) antenna and not a dipole or something fancy, the radio antenna will typically use one "hot" conductor (the coax core) to excite the antenna element, and connect the coax shield to a conductive ground plane (your hull / car body / etc.) immediately beneath and at right angles to the antenna. You only need a single core penetrator for this, but the coax shield ideally will be terminated to the penetrator in a way which completely surrounds the core without gaps (360° termination), as opposed to breaking out the shield and terminating it to a single point at the hull or penetrator. Passing the coax through a compression fitting accomplishes much the same thing, as the ground plane connection would simply be made at the antenna mount outside the hull, or you could not connect the shield to a ground plane and feed a dipole antenna instead.

Video signals are a different story, as the video feed is a differential signal of typically much lower power than an antenna feed, and uses the coax for noise immunity. You wouldn't connect the shield of a video feed to the hull under any circumstances.

Sean