[PSUBS-MAILIST] K-350 plans

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jan 31 22:44:06 EST 2017

Spent a couple of months last year working on the design of a modified
K-350.  I found he original K-350 plans to be pretty weak. Changes made
were:

   1.

   Removed aft external motor and prop and replaced with two fixed Minn
   Kota 101 thruster with kort nozzle like I have on the R300
   2.

   Replaced vertical thrusters with two fixed Minn Kota 101 thrusters with
   kort nozzle
   3.

   Propulsion and depth station keeping all fly by wire with joystick
   control
   4.

   Move air tanks (two 100 SCF aluminum scuba tanks) outside hull old
   location of main propulsion motor
   5.

   PLC for control of all systems (same as R300)
   6.

   HMI and joystick on mobile to permit operation from prone, sitting or
   standing position.
   7.

   Replaced life support with fully automated design used on R300
   8.

   Moved electrical components into three electrical boxes on or near
aft  elliptical
   head
   9.

   Added sensors for main and auxiliary battery voltage and current,
   ambient water pressure and temperature, cabin pressure, temperature, and
   humidly, compass heading, boat roll and pitch, boat altitude and
speed.  Life
   support system has sensors for CO2, O2 concentrations, O2 tank pressure,
   mass rate of O2 during O2 makeup. Pressure sensor for HP air bank and
   regulated air pressure.
   10.

   Increased main battery capacity to 400 Ah  which required increasing the
   battery pod diameter to 16” OD and 47” seam to seam
   11.

   Replaced the main and auxiliary battery banks with 16 OPTIMA BATTERIES
   BLUE TOP DEEP CYCLE MARINE BATTERY GROUP D34M.  12 for main buss and 4
   for auxiliary buss. 8 batteries per pod
   12.

   Widened the spacing on battery pods to 38”
   13.

   Added two additional viewports
   14.

   Added external LED lights
   15.

   Added compass/pitch/roll sensors off R300
   16.

   Changed design of battery pods detachable heads to flange style
   17.

   Redesigned the MBT and VBT controls.
   18.

   Utilize Hugh Fulton pancake style pneumatically operated MBT vent valves
   19.

   Modified MBTs by closing the bottoms
   20.

   lengthened VBT to 18” seam to seam to increase the volume to 8.75 gals
   21.

   Added compass/pitch/roll sensors off R300
   22.

   Built out boat in Autodesk Inventor professional.
   23.

   Drawing package updated, 51 assembly drawings and 160 part drawings
   24.

   With mods, the current boat weight is 4,707 lbs, without pilot or
   passenger
   25.

   With mods, the current boat submerged displacement  is 4,866 lbs,
   26.

   Buoyancy of boat with VBT and MBT fully blown is 5,849 lbf
   27.

   Boat Reserve of buoyancy is 9.2%

Cliff