[PSUBS-MAILIST] Ethical obligation to inform

k6fee via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jul 15 17:15:46 EDT 2017

I reiterate, this will be the death of home built non commercial personal submarines.
Keith T.

-------- Original message --------From: Alan James via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> Date: 7/15/17  1:54 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ethical obligation to inform
Hank,you mightn't have seen Scott's post so have copied it below.The MTS (Marine Technology Society) has been around since 1963 & has a sub committee MUV (Manned UnderwaterVehicles). This committee is headed by Will Kohnen mailto:willkohnen at hydrospacegroup.comThey have been approached by authorities to give them some guidelines / rules on how to deal with submersibles, & MUV have set up a committee to do this.  So the stick has already been poked in the beehive! As Jon says, as a group we shouldhave been approached for our input early on; but we still have an opportunity to insist on being involved!Regards Alan
Just a FYI, the HOV group at Underwater Intervention has put together a safety board to make national rules and regulations on all human occupied submarines. They are proposing breing back the deep submergence pilot association to be the official not for profit group hosting the proposals. When they finish, the coast gaurd will be the enforcement agency. They are following alot of how the FAA regulates. Home made submarines that are not classed would fall under an "Experemental" category just like ultralite aircraft. This will be in the USA only for now, but any countries wanting to enforce regulation, would be encouraged to just adopt the same rules as the USA instead of starting from scratch. It is smart that people who really understand submarines are making the rules instead of the rules being made for us by lawmakers after a imminet accedent happens. If anyone would like to contribute, Will Khonen from Interspace is heading up the group. The safety officer from my company  (Pisces VI) is on the board as well as alot of very smart under water professionals.