[PSUBS-MAILIST] Submersible Rules

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jul 20 00:34:43 EDT 2017

Alan,

Thanks for reaching out and forwarding us Will's response. There's a lot
here to consider and the current applicable US law is complicated
requiring careful reading and interpretation, but I have some initial
thoughts.  I also want to be careful not to suggest that the Rev 1.0
Operating Categories chart forwarded to us are anything more than an
initial "stake in the ground", however it does show us where the current
thought process is leading and also is all we have to digest and
consider at this time.  First, let me address some contradictions that
exist between the email and the MTS category chart.

Quote...there is no need to change much in the Psubs community.
Quote...the Psubs will always remain free to do what they want
Unfortunately the MTS chart does not preserve our rights at all, and
will remove our freedom to do some of what we want.  For example, under
current US law all K-boat type submarines are able to work commercially
as a Subchapter-C UNINSPECTED vessel. So if a boat owner wants to give
you $100 to find something they dropped overboard, or you work a deal
with a harbor master to inspect boat mooring footings, or some town
administration wants to hire you to take photos of mussel invasion at
the local pond, you can do that legally.  The suggested change by MTS
takes that opportunity away completely.  Why?  What reason is there for
taking away the opportunity to make money with your private vessel?

Quote...recreational submersible can do whatever they want, as long as
no money changes hand.
This is an oversimplification of current law.  As a Subchapter-C
UNINSPECTED vessel, all kinds of money can change hands.  True, we can't
take passengers for hire, but we can certainly be hired by someone that
wants us to perform a task.  And why not.  From a functional
perspective, shall we believe there is some difference between spending
time 30 feet underwater watching fish swim by as a recreational "past
time" and spending time 30 feet underwater filming the bottom for an
underwater survey that's gong to fetch us a fee?  The changes suggested
by MTS take this opportunity away completely.

Quote...The moment there is a single person in the sub that pays $1, it
is considered a "Passenger for Hire" and you are treated like an
Atlantis submarine.
I'm not sure Will meant this the way he wrote it.  Whether an airplane,
train, automobile, commercial submarine, research submarine, tourist
submarine, or private submarine, society has good reason to ensure that
vessels which carry passengers for hire meet strict standards.  The
issue I see here is that some of the requirements for vessels that carry
passengers for hire are simply not realistic for small submarines.  For
example, 46 CFR 180.70(a)(1) would require a K-boat to carry a 20 inch
life buoy.  Perhaps this is what Will meant to allude to, and if so it
is a much deeper topic than what the MTS chart provides for.

It is not clear to me what Will means when he speaks of the need for
companies to be able to operate without regulations if they are classed,
presumably by an industry accepted classing entity such as ABS, GL,
etc.  The USCG regulations appear to be primarily operational (life
preservers, flares, etc) whereas vessel certification does not address
these issues.

One point I absolutely disagree with is the statement that there is a
need for a separate category for non-classed submarines built by
commercial entities because "this is NOT a PSUB anymore".  As I stated
in a previous email, from a regulatory perspective there is absolutely
no recordable difference between a non-classed submarine fabricated
commercially in a multi-million dollar facility and a non-classed
submarine fabricated in a two stall garage by an amateur.  This is the
beauty of certification in that it not only identifies vessels which
have been recorded as meeting specific standards, it also equalizes all
vessels that have not been recorded as meeting those standards.  This
must be so or else certification is rendered meaningless.  By what
standards would we assess that a non-classed commercially built
submarine is somehow better than an non-classed amateur built
submarine?  Let us suppose we do a blind test...we will take a
non-classed commercially built submarine and a non-classed amateur built
submarine and sit them in a parking lot.  We will invite an ABS
inspector to that parking lot, point to the two submarines and say "Here
are two non-classed submarines.  You are an ABS inspector, please point
out the better built, safer submarine."  If such inspector cannot, or
will not do so, there is no difference between those submarines from a
regulatory perspective.

Now, as per the MTS chart itself there are a couple of things that stand
out.

A separate category for tourist submarines is going to prove difficult I
think.  There is currently no definition for a "tourist" in the law and
I think defining one will be problematic.  A tourist is probably always
a passenger for hire, but is a passenger for hire always a tourist?  And
if a tourist is differentiated from a passenger for hire, under what
rules does a submarine operate if they have on board both a tourist and
a passenger for hire?  I think the justification for separating out
tourist submarines based upon the idea that having just one passenger
for hire forces a small vessel to operate under the rules of an Atlantis
submarine is somewhat weak.  A better approach would be to exempt
certain sized submarines from certain equipment required under passenger
carrying rules based upon the size of the vessel.

The differentiation between Commercial, Private, and home-built seems
unnecessary.  What is the difference between "Private" and "Home-built"
submarines?  Here again, this seems to be an attempt to perceptually
diminish the integrity of a home-built submarine.  I counter that such
an assumption is arbitrary between unclassed vessels.  Furthermore, why
should unclassed submarines not be able to perform commercial work.
Classing has no bearing upon whether a vessel is capable of performing a
certain task for compensation.  That determination should be left to the
parties involved.  Is it not obvious to anyone else that these MTS
suggested changes ensure that only those entities which have the means
to class a vessel will have the supply of vessels that are authorized to
do commercial work?  Am I the only one that sees a conflict of interest
in such rules being proposed by an organization that is primarily made
up of, and caters to, commercial entities that have the means to produce
classed submarines?

Jon