[PSUBS-MAILIST] syntactic foam.

james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jun 10 23:25:20 EDT 2017

Paraffin has several interesting properties- it is sometimes used in deep diving gliders that move up and down in the water column do to a very large (10% to 15%) volume change as it goes from solid to liquid with heat and cooling.
On the other hand- in semi solid form- paraffin is non compressible (like water) and actually turns into a true solid at about 400 bar. It has very low density due to the large number of hydrogen atoms mixed in with a mostly carbon long chain structure.
>From a fabrication standpoint, I could make buoyancy blocks using micro-spheres in paraffin much easier than doing the same task with epoxy. Maybe I'll whip some up and have it tested.
Greg C

      From: Scott Waters via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 11:04 PM
 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] syntactic foam.

Hank,
Hola from Costa Rica!
Depends on if they are glass or carbon fiber spheres and what size they are. They are all pretty durable. We are actually cutting up the foam on Pisces and reattaching it to get the shapes we want.
I do have a ton of syntactic foam that is cert to 400m that I'd sell you for super cheap. Like all of it for $200
Thanks,Scott Waters

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> Date: 6/10/17 12:38 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] syntactic foam.
I have an idea, but not sure if it will work.  My idea is to fill a neutrally buoyant container with macro and micro spheres.  After the container is as full as possible, then fill with an environmentally friendly oil.  This would be more buoyant than using a resin and less complicated and cheaper.  My concern is, how well will the spheres stand up against breaking from being in contact with the other spheres and the container.   Are these spheres delicate?  Hank_______________________________________________
Personal_Submersibles mailing list
Personal_Submersibles at psubs.org