[PSUBS-MAILIST] syntactic foam.

james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Jun 11 12:12:41 EDT 2017

Hank,
I know very little about syntactic foam (my sub is positive). I assumed that the strength was in the microspheres and not the resin but apparently that's wrong. Anyway, I'd like to work with you on a project sometime. I'll do some homework on buoyancy foam and get back to you.
The only thing I know at this point is that the density of the wax is .87 and the density of the epoxy is about 1.25.
Greg

      From: hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 10:31 AM
 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] syntactic foam.

Greg,There has to be good reason to make foam by other means than standard practices.   Cost would be the biggest reason, and using wax will probably work, but is there a saving?  Using wax means you have to use a deeper rated sphere to offset the loss of reinforcement provided by the resin.  I have no idea what the cost difference would be.  Maybe the cost is still much better.  When I look at Cliff's report, the resin is not the expensive part.  Perhaps the direction should be, to look for a replacement for the spheres.  In Cliff's report it shows the resin triples the sphere's performance.  That implies that the true strength comes from the resin.  Maybe a sawdust resin or a styrofoam granule resin is worth looking at also.  Maybe it is a simple as air entrained resin?Fun to think about anyways.Hank