[PSUBS-MAILIST] syntactic foam.

Sun Jun 11 12:19:14 EDT 2017

Composite material performance can be approximated by weight averaging the mechanical properties of each component in proportion to its volume fraction within the composite. In general, it is advantageous to minimize the matrix (resin) volume in a composite, whether fiber or micro/macro sphere reinforced. This is why multiple sizes of spheres are recommended - to preferentially fill the interstitial spaces between the largest spheres with additional spheres and not simply matrix material.

The spheres provide the required density reduction, but are brittle. The resin adds ductility / toughness to the composite, to carry mechanical loads applied to the composite part, and distribute the load across the sphere surfaces. Packed spheres with no matrix material would still withstand the hydrostatic pressure loads,  but any additional mechanical loading would point-load the spheres at their points of contact.

The requirement for glass spheres is really only derived from the strength and density requirements of the application. Using an air entrained resin exclusively may be sufficiently strong, but you may find it difficult to achieve a low enough density, both because of the maximum possible bubble size you can manufacture, and because of the fact that consistently sized air bubbles will never pack as densely as using various different sizes of e.g. glass spheres.

Sean