[PSUBS-MAILIST] Polyethylene Grating

Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jun 12 01:34:43 EDT 2017

Pete,
          I really like your idea of the glass marbles !   That will be a really great way to reduce the overall amount of oil I will have to put in my motor pod.  I think also it may, along with the oil, act as a large heat sink for the motor.   I have a one inch fitting that I could use to fill the entire pod with marbles.  The spaces between the marbles I think will allow for some circulation of the oil.

  I had to have some machine work done on the motor pod but now it is pretty much dialed in.  It will be easy to make another one, since I've learned what not to do  !   I was worried about welding the SS pipe fitting that houses the main prop bearing to the end cap part of the motor pod since stainless tends to bend all kinds of weird ways when welded.  So I had this elaborate ( read dumb) concentric pipe arrangement with o rings , but in the end I decided to weld it in place .  Sure enough the pipe did shrink and I couldn't get the bearing in there.  But I was easy to just hone it out to the right dimension to fit it in there.  Now I just need to build my second Warp engine !

Brian