[PSUBS-MAILIST] landing craft

Wed Jun 14 23:26:43 EDT 2017

The water flow isn't the same though. In the bollard pull scenario (zero speed of advance), the upstream flow has zero speed and maximum pressure. Slip, and hence thrust, is maximized, and the flow through the propellor is parallel to its axis.

Once the boat gets moving, its own wake has an effect on the angle of flow through the propulsor. With a heavy displacement craft with a pronounced bow wave, as you approach hull speed you'll be sitting in a hole, and both the flow angle and prop immersion depth can be affected. You can also start ventilating the prop as the effective water level changes. Also, as you gain speed, the propellor now has some advance, and therefore less slip and less thrust. The prop is unloaded somewhat, and may rev at a higher rpm as a result, which can lead to cavitation if you have too little blade area to absorb the pressure difference.

Sounds like it might just be ventilating though.

Sean