[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure Test Chamber

james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jun 21 06:22:39 EDT 2017

Alan,
The danger is actually twofold- One is O2 pp as Hugh said, but the other is that gases (like air) air compressible. They store up lots of energy that is released violently if there is a rupture. That's why hydro testing of scuba tanks is done with the tanks filled with water in a chamber filled with water. Even with water it is still dangerous. A well known submarine building company in Florida once had a test chamber blow and it took out the rear corner of their cinderblock building.
Greg

      From: Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:59 AM
 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure Test Chamber

Thanks Greg & Hugh,there was a bit of doubt in my mind about it so mentioned myintended process. I have just googled accumulators in hydraulic systems& the danger of high pressure air! Yikes just as well I've got you guyslooking out for me.What about air from the scuba tank pressurising water?I can get all the air out of the test chamber apart from the air inthe line pressurising it!Other than that I have done some previous tests with the water blaster& may have to suffice with it's pressure!Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad