[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure Test Chamber

Hugh Fulton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jun 21 23:19:51 EDT 2017

Hi Steve,

Scuba compressors do “explode” ( combust oil) .  i.e. the oil turns into carbon on high temperature.  Synthetic oils have a much higher flash point.  A relief valve is not necessarily going to protect from an explosion.

The essence is that it comes down to the temperature of the achieved compression.  Scuba compressors normally have a compression ratio of between 3.5 – 4.5 in each stage. In API 618 or 11P ( Compressor Standards) it states a maximum temperature of 300 deg F (618) – 350 deg F (11P)  and generally industrial compressors will not go over a compression ratio of 4:1.  If the pressure starts off at 0 psi and ends as say 2000 psi then the compression ratio is approx. 135:1   and as the final adiabatic theoretical temperature is =T1 x  R^((k-1)/k) = 520 x  135^(.4/1.4) = approx. 1600 deg F assuming no temperature loss etc.  So I don’t consider it is OK to sanction an air over oil compression as the average punter does not understand the significance of fast compression and slow compression.  What happened in our case is that my son had tested a number of valves and then after smoko opened the valve too quickly creating a high temp shock wave which obviously ignited the oil in the pipe.  We have also seen pipes blown off hydraulic compressors hospitalising an operator which had air ingress.

We make high pressure gas compressors up to 600 hp. And serviced many other makes and models.  We also make high pressure valves up to 10,000 psi.   If we test on air we have sometimes had the seats spontaneously ignite.  There is a reason for testing on Nitrogen or inert gas or using water.

P-subs used to have guys playing around with 150 psi but now there are some serious pressures being bandied about by guys without Engineering degrees.  Hence my cautionary tales to Alan and publishing on P-subs.

Cheers,

Hugh