[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure Test Chamber

Hugh Fulton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jun 22 18:05:07 EDT 2017

Hi Steve,

Not sure what you are aiming at with reconciling the diesel engine example. A diesel engine has a trapped air volume that is compressed at approx. 18:1 and higher (21.5:1) (theoretical temperature of 725 deg F) and then the diesel is injected in as a fine spray to ensure combustion.

I have left out a few details in what I described and also the formula was incorrect as I did not bring back the temperature in the formula from Rankine however I did in my calculations.

Anyway the 1600 deg F was only if all the air is compressed without adding more air as the air added lowers the temperature as does the dissipation of heat into the walls of the tubing, valves etc.

The point of the whole message is that high temperatures can be reached at only 2000 psi or less.  Rather than say it is OK to use air I wanted to emphasize the possibility of  dangerous practices and the reasons behind it.

I started off with B.A. Fire service and Scuba compressor maintenance and later went on to gas compressors with CNG/NGV.  The industry has seen a bunch of cowboys, explosions, irresponsible engineering etc.  at this stage of life I have forgotten more than I have learned but I know who to ask and when.  Normally it is Cliff & Sean who pick up on these things.  We try to idiot proof our valves but that is hard to do.  We have just been working on a breakaway coupling and found that if the O’rings are damaged on assembly then it can create a fast decoupling situation.  We have now fixed that.

There is a good mix of guys like Hank who just get on and do things and there are some ballsy things going on so that is just great to see.

Good to catch up even though by way of forum.

Regards,

Hugh