[PSUBS-MAILIST] LED Light test

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Mar 9 02:12:13 EST 2017

Tested my 80W LED light in a housing, to see how hot it got in & out
of the water.
The good news was it didn't get warm at all after running at 70W for
25 minutes in the kitchen sink. Out of the water it hit 120F (49C) in 7
minutes. The LED has a maximum temperature rating of 60C so was keeping
back a bit from that.
I dropped the current down & ran it out of the water at 33W & 25W but it climbed
to 125F in 20 minutes for 33W & 15 minutes for the 25W.
I am using a cast acrylic 8mm thick lens, & this didn't get hot either in air
or water. Using acrylic instead of glass is saving me $90-.
Am making a few minor housing design adjustments for the final iteration.
Have also ordered a dozen of these 50 V 350 mA constant current regulator &
LED drivers.

http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=NSI50350AD
They are TINY; about 1/4" square & you run them in series to get the desired
amperage. They have a wide input voltage & would be great for a 36V system.