[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw: Gamma

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Mar 11 14:35:02 EST 2017

Rick,
a while back I was trying to determine how necessary cleaning was
for low pressure O2 systems. I couldn't find any incident related to
low pressure systems. However second stage regulators are O2
cleaned so I guess it matters. Below is an excerpt from the O2 hackers
manual.
Alan

On Oxygen Cleaning:

"One way or another, it seems clear that there are a lot of people doing partial pressure mixing of nitrox who are not using professionally 02 clean tanks or hydrocarbon free air and appear to be getting away with it. Does that mean you should?
Don't expect me to tell you it's OK. It's one of those things that you may get away with ten or a hundred times, but if on the thousandth time it blows up in your face you¹re going to feel pretty stupid in those last micro-seconds.
Rather, take it to mean one doesn't have to be overly intimidated. Oxygen cleaning, it appears, is not rocket science, as we've been led to believe in the past, but rather kitchen science - a matter of detergent, hot water and common sense. The important thing is to use cleaning agents that will remove any hydrocarbons, but not contribute any themselves. Flammable solvents, obviously are out.

The Navy dive manual. the CGA, and other technical publications have leaned towards heavy duty solvents and detergents such as anhydrous technical grade trisodium phosphate, trichlorethylene and liquid freon, followed by rinsing with deionized water. These are hard to find, environmentally suspect in some cases, and, in the case of trichlorethylene, leave a bad smell in the tank that's almost impossible to get rid of.

Fortunately, there are some much milder and more easily obtained detergents that are popular with tech divers and seem to do the job just fine. Two of the most frequently mentioned are Simple Green, which can be used diluted, and Formula 409 which is usually used straight. The tank is filled with a hot solution of the detergent of choice, shaken, scrubbed, or tumbled, then thoroughly rinsed and dried.

Cleaning tanks can be done better, and a whole lot easier, if one improvise a washing and drying stand that will hold the tank upside down and a few inches off the ground, so it can drain freely. Then the tank can be throughly rinsed by sticking a hose up inside and blasting it out with flowing hot water. "

Sent from my iPad