[PSUBS-MAILIST] New Generation Inertial Sensors - Twice as Accurate

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Mar 23 22:43:06 EDT 2017

Here's a link that gives quite a bit of information including  a reference
to their Windows-based software.  Once you open the link, the  more you
scroll down the more you will see; it goes a long way!
http://www.seismic.com.au/assets/pdf/SBG_Systems-Ellipse_Series_Brochure.pdf

GPS is great as a starting point before you submerge and for  telling you
where you are once you surface.  Too bad radio signals don't  propagate so
well under water.  In the past we've discussed mounting a  GPS antenna on a
Diver Below buoy with a cable running to the sub.  I don't  recall what was
said regarding theoretical depth limitations for such a setup as  well as the
hydrodynamics of towing it.

It would be really interesting to see how well your INS  position matches
up with your GPS when you resurface.  I like the idea of  knowing just where
you are with reasonable precision when submerged, being able  to return to a
precise location on another day, being able to search or survey
methodically, navigating from A to B to C, etc.

Jim T.

In a message dated 3/23/2017 7:55:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time,