[PSUBS-MAILIST] fluid expansion

james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu May 4 20:52:46 EDT 2017

Brian,
I was the one who first tried WD40 back in the day and recommended it to the group. However, it turned out not to be not such a great idea. First, it turned my plastic and rubber parts hard and brittle over time- tubing, wire insulation and shaft seals. It is also too thin. The thinness causes it to seep from multiple points on the motors. Lastly, it's also too thin to provide the correct lubrication for the bearings.

If you like oil compensation then a thicker silicon based oil would be better. I think that Carsten and Emile have had good experience going that way so check with them.
Hopefully my sub will be back in the water this summer and I plan to return to an air compensated system.
Greg C
      From: Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: PSubs <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Sent: Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:03 PM
 Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] fluid expansion

Hi All,                 Been watching my WD-40 expand in the hot weather while I build these stupid fenders for my trailer.   I definitely will need a substantial reservoir bladder if I plan to park the sub in the blazing hot Ojai sun !   Have a 1"  vinyl tube attached to the top of the motor pod, as I was working on the fenders I noticed the fluid level climbing and climbing , finally had to drain a bunch out.   Ran the motor with the fluid no problem.   Brian_______________________________________________
Personal_Submersibles mailing list
Personal_Submersibles at psubs.org