[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fitting on K boat main ballast tanks

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat May 20 17:25:14 EDT 2017

Hi Brian,

The fittings are called compression fittings, but searching on eBay I find
it more productive to just use the brand name Swagelok as a key word. Even
competing brands (Parker, Tylok, Brennan, etc.) are generally listed with
the word "Swagelok" somewhere in the listing. Try for instance "Swagelok
male NPT elbow" and optionally add words like "316" or "stainless", or the
fractional size you're looking for, because you'll get so many results
you'll want to refine it a bit.

The trickier bit is what you put inside the tank for the NPT thread on the
elbow to screw into, because you want to keep it as flush as possible. To
look around, I'd recommend McMaster Carr. Search for NPT nuts, NPT pipe
flanges, etc. You want to get the flattest thing you can find with an NPT
thread, and epoxy it to the inside of the tank. After installation, maybe
grind off the part of the fitting that pokes through the nut to get the
fitting intake as close to the top of the tank as possible.

BTW due to design changes in Shackleton I put a whole bunch of large bore
Swagelok fittings up for sale on eBay myself a few days ago. But my guess
is they're larger than what you're looking for. They're for 1" tube, which
would make Harold dive in seconds.

Best,

Alec

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles <