[PSUBS-MAILIST] Wire type for submersibles

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun May 21 04:08:38 EDT 2017

Hi Brian,
ABS in section 10 electrical systems, 17.1 says cables & wiring within the
pressure boundary are to be low smoke, low/zero halogen cables.
So PVC is out according to them.
But don't shoot the messenger; if your PVC isn't packed in tight next to
some electronics then there probably isn't much chance of it catching fire.
Also if you have an extinguisher & a regulator on board you have back ups.
Part of the reason they don't like halogens is because of the acidic smoke that
can kill sensitive electronics. This would be more of an issue in a military
sub than a home built psub! Good to be aware of this stuff though!