[PSUBS-MAILIST] thrusters

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Nov 13 17:32:58 EST 2017

 Alan,I won't make a move without your input.  Hank
    On Monday, November 13, 2017, 12:41:21 PM MST, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Hank,the electronic speed controllers (esc) generally don't have a reverse as they are normallyfor planes & helicopters. They can say "reverse" in their specs but this generallyrefers to the ability to program it to go in the other direction. ( big trap)I believe some boat & car escs have a proper reverse function. I have the V esc &Kelly controller that does reverse.Nearly all speed controllers operate off a radio signal from a transmitter. Theyhave a receiver that plugs in to them for receiving this signal. There are unitsaround that plug in to your esc that don't operate off the transmitter. See the robotshop for these. I think also Hobby King has some. You could however use a radiocontrol unit in your sub, if you have the receiver also in your sub & wired to the esc,through a through hull.The speed controllers need to be programmed either with a programming cardor via a complicated system of switching from your transmitter, or via a programloaded to your PC. There are a number of programming parameters & you needto be familiar with the RC terminology to program them. So you are walking head first in to a technological rats nest!BUT... if you buy a unit like the thruster I linked to, you should be able to buy theiresc with the parameters set up ready to go & also some type of joystick input for it.   If you can't buy it, talk to them as they would set you up with what you want for a price. Let me know what you are going to do before you pull the trigger & I will tellyou what I think.Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad