[PSUBS-MAILIST] propeller size

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Nov 13 22:31:12 EST 2017

Hank,
I am not sure but I think that would be OK.
If you can measure the amps you are drawing & the speed your sub is
doing on the surface, you could make some conclusions from that, &
I think that is the only way to get some really good results. A bollard
test in a pool doesn't take in to consideration the forward movement of
the submarine, & there are also various effects from the sides of the test
pool & circulating currents. I will have to do this with my thrusters but it
is not perfect.
If you can test the amp draw & speed at both voltages then you can say
"Is the gain in speed worth the extra power draw on the battery!"
Are your propellers plastic? I don't think they are but as an aside, I have
wondered whether the tips bend when you put an extra load on them.
If say you are producing 100lb thrust, that thrust would be distributed across
the propeller & surely they wouldn't work efficiently with too much load on them!