[PSUBS-MAILIST] reinforcement

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Nov 14 17:43:46 EST 2017

HI Sean,I am taking your suggestion and ordering a heavy ring to mount my motor assembly to rather than use the original pipe assembly.  .  It will be like a port frame but with a 5\8 steel plate with a prop shaft tube weld to the centre with giant gussets.  Normally I would weld in a ring that is several time heavier than it needs to be, but in this case I can not get crazy with weight.  The weight is important because it is still an escape pod.  I have sized the ring to be 20% heavier than the material removed from the sphere.  I am assuming that the 5\8 plate that is bolted to the ring adds support to the ring.  I realize the added plate is only as strong as the bolts securing it, but there must be a benefit, or does this not count? Hank