[PSUBS-MAILIST] reinforcement

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Nov 14 20:09:19 EST 2017

 Thanks' Sean,I will add thickness to the ring,  for a bigger comfort zone.  The flat plate is original to Gamma so no worries about it failing.Hank
    On Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 5:53:37 PM MST, Sean T. Stevenson via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 If you were to meticulously torque the bolts to a sufficient preload to ensure that the connection could reliably carry shear forces, then technically it would carry some load; however, it is unwise to rely on that for the purpose of determining required penetration reinforcement - certainly if the forces are transferred entirely in shear. If instead, the plate was loaded in radial compression (i.e. inset into the seat and bearing on the outer cylindrical surface), then there would be some direct load transfer, but the exercise is academic. As with an acrylic window, design the ring under the assumption that the seat ring and associated reinforcement must carry all hull stresses. The flat plate that bolts on should then be designed in accordance with the rules for unstayed flat heads (ABS Steel Vessel Rules).

Sean

Sent from ProtonMail mobile