[PSUBS-MAILIST] magnetic coupler

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Nov 24 12:54:21 EST 2017

Hi All,I did a very bad thing by mistake ;-(  I almost wrecked my magnetic coupler.  I welded the mating ring in for the drive unit and to help stop the ring from distorting to much.  I bolted the propeller shaft tube assembly, witch is a 5\8 plate to the ring.  After welding it up I was admiring my welds ;-)  and suddenly noticed the propeller shaft was still in the tube, that means the magnet  drive and barrier was still under the plate getting very hot!  Magnets don't like HOT so I scrambled to remove the plate and get it outside in the cold to cool it down.  Luckily the air space between the barrier and magnets insulated the magnets and they are okay. Whew!!!   I am sure glad I mig welded it so it only took 15 minutes, preventing the plate from getting even hotter ;-)Hank