[PSUBS-MAILIST] 36v to 24v transformer

Brian via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Oct 4 14:54:22 EDT 2017

Harold is setup with two banks - 12v and 36v.  Both are redundant as the sub
has two banks each - ten batteries total.  Two sets of three in series for
the 36v, two sets of two in parallel for the 12v.

After much reflection decided to go with 45lb 12v side thrusters. They can
pull from the 12v bank.  For maneuvering I think they'll be plenty.  They'll
be on a motor controller as will the 101lb 36v rear thruster.

Got just the motor heads for $100.00 each so a score on that.  Will probably
attach 3 bladed props.   I have a couple of 10A 36v to 12v converters
already so I'm thinking maybe I'll pull 12v off the 36v bank to run some
other things like external lights.  I can mount them in the box that
currently has the motor solenoids as I won't need them for the side
thrusters.  Might be able to get a motor controller in there too.

Harold was originally designed to use those huge Honeywell 36v motors so I
figure I have overkill reserve battery power once I switch the thrusters to
trolling motors.  Maynard added more batteries than the original Kittredge
design.

Thanks for all the input.