[PSUBS-MAILIST] batteries

Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Oct 28 16:27:36 EDT 2017

I am trying to size my wire for the 36v side from where the power comes
into the sub to selector switch to hot buss bar and was wondering if that
was something that someone could answer. Also I was told by Minn-Kota that
they recommend group 27 marine batteries.
I have a couple of deep cycle (marine batteries) on my boat and they are
550 cca and 125 amps reserve capacity.
My plan is to run all three Minn-kota thrusters off of one side at a time
and their max draw is 46 amps max so there is 138 amps if all three
thrusters are wide open. I doubt I would ever have all three maxed for more
than short spurts but want to be repaired for the worst case scenario like
if I am bucking a strong current.
I also will be running 6 outside LED lights off the same bank and though I
can dim them and selectively use them, all on at max would be about a 16.6
amp draw as well. Now most of the time I will be using the thrusters at
minimal draw and not all 3 at the same time and the 6 lights will probably
never all be on at the same time.
If everything was wide open, I would be pulling about 155 amps from a bank
that has a reserve capacity of 125 so it would deplete the bank rather fast
and may even damage the batteries due to a quick drain? So,,, first
question...would 2 OTT wire be sufficient from battery source to bus bar as
long as I am not running full tilt on everythig and second... since I have
to stick with a lead acid system due to design, can I get a group 27
battery that can deliver much more than the 125 amps I have on my boat?
I also have the option of putting the battery selector switch on both banks
if I have to but would rather deplete one bank at a time if can.
Comments appreciated.
Rick