[PSUBS-MAILIST] K-250 Angle Stiffener Web Question

Steve McQueen via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Sep 7 09:51:03 EDT 2017

All, as most probably know a K-250 has internal angle stiffeners (L).

In my rebuild I have avoided drilling any holes in the web portion of these stiffeners (actually had some existing holes from the original build welded up/filled).  However, I am finding it would be nice if I could drill a few small (1/4") holes to help mount some interior parts. I believe I am looking at 1 to 3 of these holes max. in any single stiffener web.

Calculating any reduction in functional strength that might result from a few small holes isn't straight forward.  I guess I am looking for some feedback from those who understand the web function of an L stiffener better than I.

My guess is this wouldn't be a significant issue and I an being too anal.

Thanks,
Steve