[PSUBS-MAILIST] Innerspace Science

james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 8 16:56:07 EDT 2017

I've also carried non paying scientists (with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation) in my sub. Even though it is not legal to charge a fee, my tax adviser said that it was not illegal to consider the time as a tax deductible donation if the institution was a university, foundation or other charitable organization. Check with a tax expert to see if you can claim a tax deduction.
Greg Cottrell

      From: Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Sent: Friday, September 8, 2017 3:50 PM
 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Innerspace Science

Alec, I love the idea!  I am in.  I will send you content for your web site.
Best Regards
Cliff
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

Friends,
For a long time I've wished I could use my sub for something a little more productive than test and recreational dives. On land I've occasionally taken the sub to schools or science fairs and it works magic with the kids. Schools organize field trips to my garage. On dives I can't carry paying passengers because my sub is not classed, but that doesn't mean I couldn't carry instruments or shoot video, or carry a non-paying scientist.
I've put together a website intended to be a matchmaker between owners of private subs and people who might have an educational or scientific use for them. The premise is simple. If someone like a teacher or scientist has a research initiative that could benefit from the use of donated submersible time, the website allows them to submit their idea for consideration by sub owners, who may pick it up and organize an expedition if they wish. Such expeditions will not have a profit motive, they are just private trips aligned with a scientific purpose.
There is also a section for educational opportunities on land, such as using a sub for after-school enrichment programs at schools. I've put together an eight week program intended for middle schoolers and am in conversations with several area schools to deliver it this winter. Once I've refined it during the first cycle, my content will be shared with any of you who may wish to do likewise. It includes some basic physics and engineering, marine ecology, and marine conservation. Land-based programs like this can provide a nominal income - not anything to make a living off, but perhaps modest funding of your submarine habit or an expedition. And the main thing for me is to spread the word about marine conservation issues, even if on a tiny scale.
Some notable PSUBS members have joined up and are on the web site, so we have quite a nice fleet of boats to start with. If you are interested in doing the same, just let me know please. Otherwise, I would really appreciate if you could spread awareness of this new website to contacts, link from your websites, or mention on social media as appropriate.
https://www.innerspacescience. org/

Best,