[PSUBS-MAILIST] Heads Question

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Sep 17 22:33:23 EDT 2017

Here's the method I used. The starting point is a bevel with the sharp end
of course on the ID and the wide end of the wedge on the OD. An air gap of
about 1/8" is left between the two parts.

1) TIG weld the root pass, from the *inside* of the hull, plugging the air
gap.
2) Grind with an angle grinder from the outside into the root pass. Use a
1/4" wheel on the angle grinder. You need to get a clean shiny U shaped
channel, pure like-new metal, with no visible discontinuities whatsoever.
3) Stick weld from the outside building up layers until meeting the plate
thickness.

Perhaps a double bevel would be needed for very thick material. The method
I'm describing, I've used on material up to 1/2" with no problem.

Dan, if I'm talking rubbish please set me straight!

Best,

Alec

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles <