[PSUBS-MAILIST] magnetic linear actuator

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 29 22:07:06 EDT 2017

Hank,
I spent a lot of time investigating oil compensation of linear actuators along
with Frank. He was looking at the Lenco trim tab actuators.
Have several. The motors in them are small & brushed & run rough in
oil. When the rod extends that leaves a void inside the actuator that needs
to be filled. So you end up with an external oil reservoir to fill the actuator
with ambient pressure oil as it extends. ( so why not just push it out with the oil)
There are micro switches that I drilled with tiny holes, to let ambient pressure
in so they didn't trigger under pressure. Also there are electronics in some
actuators that may be effected by pressure. And of course there is the wiring
going in to the actuator that needs sealing & the seals on the rod that may need replacing.
Much simpler to use hydraulics. I did see an electric manipulator operating
at the Underwater Intervention Convention. Can't recall it's name.
   From time to time I have a google on robot sites to see what is new. Or
Alibaba to see if the Chinese have come up with anything cheap.
Nearly bought a kids hydraulic arm toy that you assemble, with view to
scaling up out of aluminium.
Keep thinking, but the robotics World is big & if there is a new & easier way
of doing it they'll find it.