[PSUBS-MAILIST] magnetic linear actuator

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Sep 30 11:28:03 EDT 2017

Hank,
you mean like a solenoid with a long stroke?
I have been designing a solenoid operated ballast valve but haven't got
round to working out how many turns of wire, how much force I need &
how many amps it will draw.
A lot of solenoids have a short duty cycle, as they heat up pretty quick.
I would imagine this could be a problem if you wanted to hold something
in position for a long time.