[PSUBS-MAILIST] pressure test

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Apr 15 03:06:06 EDT 2018

Brian,
most of the led drivers, motor controllers or buck / boost units have
those large cylindrical electrolytic capacitors which can crush under
pressure. At the top of them most have a cross cut in them to weaken
them at that point so if they blow they blow in a controlled direction.
They would be particularly weak at that point with regard to crushing.
   I am not sure how the capacitor would operate once it was crushed;
whether it wouldn't work at all, or partially work, & whether that would
result in the circuits failure or just reduce the life of the circuit.
I read about this on the Psub list & other web sites years ago, so they
must have a history of failing under pressure.