[PSUBS-MAILIST] Trailer Issue

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 16 21:25:42 EDT 2018

I finally activated hydraulic surge brakes on the trailer today and took the K-600 out for another test drive.  So much nicer with brakes on the trailer...night and day.
Hank, I think you were right about the height of the trailer tongue needing to be increased.  Very difficult to assess at my place because I am on a slope but stopped at a nice level area and although the current height is not bad, it could definitely come up another couple inches to be perfect.  The problem is that the hitch is already angled inappropriately on the receiver ball.  Think of it like when you are backing down a ramp and the truck is still on level ground but the trailer has started down the ramp.  I am going to have to add a small extension UNDER the stock tongue to lower the hitch, so I can raise it to an appropriate position using a lower receiver (if that makes sense).
I know I could weld the extension onto the stock tongue but I'm thinking I want to be able to return it to the stock configuration if necessary so am trying to think of an appropriate bolting arrangement.  I've concluded I would bolt the two together from the inside (both hollow square tubes) and then also a clamp of some kind to sandwich them tight on the left and right side.  Think about a bolt-on trailer jack arrangement.
I'd love to hear of any alternatives.
Jon