[PSUBS-MAILIST] Shackleton test report

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Dec 5 17:07:35 EST 2018

Hi Alan,

The valves have a spring so they default to closed if un-powered, but I'm
driving both the open and close directions pneumatically. The slight leaks
in two of them should be a matter of fidgeting with the cap and its O-ring.
It's a conical seat, and I'll experiment with different O ring thicknesses,
but if not I'll just make new caps. Prior to this, I had tested the valves
by inverting the tank (off the sub) and filling with water. However, I
hadn't filled them to the top due to mounting holes, so they had more
pressure now.

As a next step I'm investigating ways to further increase buoyancy. The
present range allows one or two person operation in salt water, but I need
some extra buoyancy for two people in fresh water. The great thing is the
test gave me a confirmed reference point rather than a spreadsheet of
estimates.  At some point I may go back to playing with things like the PLC
or a joystick, but frankly the controls are the best part of the boat the
way they are now, as they'd still work if I dunked them in the ocean. I
really want to get the basics to battle tank grade like that before I turn
my attention to the nice-to-haves.

Love your research with the thrusters!!!

Best,
Alec

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 3:20 PM Alan via Personal_Submersibles <