[PSUBS-MAILIST] Thruster Test

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Dec 7 05:11:24 EST 2018

Hi all,
tested another 2 props today. Both 2 hp yamaha 3 bladed. One was a
plastic 7&1/4 x 4, the other aluminium & similar but with rounded ends
to the blades.
They both worked much better than the Vetus prop I tried yesterday,
the plastic prop being the better.
By comparison the plastic yamaha prop had 60.62 lb. thrust from 1624 W
while the Vetus had 45 lb. from 1694 W. Quite a difference; 26.79 Watts per
pound of thrust as apposed to 37.66 for the Vetus.
David, again it showed to be a lot more economical on power to run the
motor slowly. At 11 lb of thrust it used 12.9 Watts per pound of thrust and
rose up to 26.79 Watts per pound of thrust at full power.
So if the batteries are low, go slow.
Cheers Alan