[PSUBS-MAILIST] Threaded Inserts

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Dec 28 05:18:34 EST 2018

 Hi,is anyone using threaded inserts in fiberglass to attach components.I was looking at attaching my ballast valves & lights as per attached drawingwith the flanged end of threaded inserts fitted in to holes drilled in my ballasttank, & then filled in with epoxy around them.Most of the images I have see in searches show the flange at the top, but I thought it wouldbe stronger with the flange embedded. There are other versions of the threadedinsert that have an additional large thread on the outside. I thought it would be easy to locate the inserts in relation to the holes in the top ballastplate by screwing them up to the plate with the retaining bolts & pushing them downin to slightly oversized holes in the fiberglass that are half filled with epoxy.when the epoxy sets just unscrew the bolts & fill in the rest of the way round the inserts.Alan