[PSUBS-MAILIST] LED lights

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Feb 2 15:40:28 EST 2018

Rick,
I spent hours & hours of time looking at underwater pool lights, dive lights & anything I
could adapt easily. Ordered a lot of stuff but didn't find anything suitable.
These high powered dc leds are an evolving technology & you might find a pool
light or garden flood light that you can oil fill.
Most of the components in my light were cheap. Led $6.50, lens only a couple
of dollars, driver nearer $50 but you can pick them up cheap without dimming.
They have a small potentiometer on them & you can turn the voltage down for a
crude dimming function. The gaskets I had to get cut to size. The stainless bolts
were one of the bigger expenses. But the biggest pain was making them. I had to
make jigs for drilling angled holes from the wiring to a central port at the back
of the light & I built about 3 housings till I got it how I wanted.
The led I used was smaller than the standard 36V leds & round which I felt
would put out a more uniform light pattern.