[PSUBS-MAILIST] Forward Facing Scanning Sonar

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Feb 24 23:22:07 EST 2018

Thanks Vance & Keith,
There seems to be quite a range of products out there & the ones
that have images that look like something recognisable are very expensive.
   The simrad forward scan is in my range but is 2d, so you are only seeing
contours & distances directly in front of you. I could enclose the transducer in a thick
shell of fiberglass with an area over the transmitting face that was only 3mm thick
& this would give me my depth rating, but it might be a waste of money if
it doesn't shoot through the 3mm well enough. Transducer costs $700 &
display costs $1000.
   Could always put it on a boat if it can't shoot through the fibreglass, & there
is always the option of upgrading to a better scanner later on.