[PSUBS-MAILIST] 10K LED Light 12VDC Adaption

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jan 3 15:40:14 EST 2018

Steve,
I ran my 70W 36V light off 12V for about 1/2 hour as a spot light on a boat last week.
The driver was the main worry, as the efficiency goes down the further apart
the input & output voltages are, & that produces more heat. The driver didn't seem to
get too hot, but I had previously heat sinked one of the components that was
getting hot on to the aluminium casing.
The light itself cant be used out of water too long.
Last I heard Cliff was still looking to put a driver in the back of the light, whereas
Alec had built one of Cliffs lights & used an off the shelf buck/boost driver.
Another consideration ( you will probably know this) is you may have to beef up
the wiring from the battery to the driver as it will be carrying just over 8 amps
whereas the output to the light will be about 3 amps.
Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad