[PSUBS-MAILIST] Commercial Grade O2 vs. Medical

Thu Jan 4 09:56:50 EST 2018

Spherical pressure hulls approximate pure compression, so using the compressive yield strength is reasonable in that case. When only a single yield value is quoted for concrete, you can assume that it is the compressive value. With cylindrical hulls, the load case is more complicated - you have compressive loading in the circumferential and axial directions, but also interframe bending which could precipitate a crack on the interior mid-bay surface. At that point, it's up to the reinforcement design. A reasonable assumption is to design assuming that the steel must carry all tensional loads, but this is getting beyond me. My experience with composites is limited to fiber-reinforced matrix materials. I have no idea how to analyze a steel-reinforced concrete structure in this application. I would consult an engineer with specific experience in this area.

Sean

Sent from ProtonMail mobile