[PSUBS-MAILIST] Commercial Grade O2 vs. Medical

Thu Jan 4 16:34:05 EST 2018

Alan, I'm afraid that this is a dangerous misconception. Internal and external pressure are very different load cases. The reason you are seeing similar results is that you are:

1) evaluating a strongly isotropic material,
2) evaluating using a thin wall assumption whereby it is assumed that the net stress in the cylinder wall is evenly distributed throughout the cross-sectional area of the wall,
3) evaluating a material which exhibits effectively identical compressive and tensile material yield strengths, and
4) ignoring buckling failure modes, or acknowledging them to be secondary to a dominating material strength failure.

So, the results CAN be similar for internal and external pressure, but only under specific circumstances. It is dangerous to consider this to be a rule of thumb. As a general rule, internal pressure capacity is greater than external due to buckling failure modes.

Any material defects or deformation from applied loading only complicates the situation, as with internal pressure, any out-of-round deformation is self-limiting, whereas in the external pressure case such deformation will serve as a buckle initiation site which will propagate unchecked.

That said, I think that collapsing an aluminum gas cylinder with external pressure is unlikely at PSub depths, although I might be inclined to select shorter, stubbier cylinders if that is a worry, to ensure that buckling will not dominate (or at least, if it is dominant it is so at much higher pressure than the intended service pressure) as could be the case with a long, slender cylinder. Regarding flat bottoms, gas cylinders are typically extruded using a die, and the internal shape of the cylinder bottom is actually a 2:1 semi-ellipse, or at minimum, generously filleted. Extra material is added in design / to the minimum head thickness to accommodate standing the cylinder upright, creating the flat bottom. Evaluating the cylinder as an unreinforced cylinder subject to external pressure, with hemispherical or semi-elliptical end caps as appropriate, seems to me to be a reasonable approach.

Sean

Sent from ProtonMail mobile