[PSUBS-MAILIST] Ammeter / PLC question

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jan 16 18:33:41 EST 2018

Re-thinking the ammeter question.
I had suggested using a shunt for measuring amps & Cliff is using some
expensive unit based on measuring the electric field around the wire.
With a PLC could I not just buy an inexpensive Voltage sensor with 4-20Ma output
& an inexpensive resistance sensor with  4-20Ma output & calculate the Amps
in the PLC program based on these 2 numbers (V/R=A)
I believe these items are called conditioners; most are very expensive. Can't
understand why as multimeters do a number of measuring functions & are cheap.
Does anyone know of a suitable Voltage & resistance sensor, or is this not
the best way to do it. Cliff, what are you using for measuring voltage, thanks.
Cheers Alan