[PSUBS-MAILIST] depth sonar

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jul 18 21:22:07 EDT 2018

Hank,
there are Shoot through hull transducers that you mount inside a boat,
& they can shoot through 1/2" fibreglass, maybe up to an inch.
There should be no air bubbles or gaps between the transducer & the hull.
I just looked at a 6" ID & 1/2" thick sphere in the Under Pressure program & it
says 5,600ft crush depth for epoxy fibreglass. Of course depends a lot on
a perfect layup, but encouraging results.
If you put the transducer in a 6" sphere of fibreglass & filled around the
transducer, inside, with resin or maybe chopped strands in resin, then it would
be even stronger. You could mould the sphere in 2 halves, mount the transducer
in one hemisphere, then glue the second on & fill with resin through the
cable hole.
You can test this out by going on the lake & putting your transducer in the water
against a piece of fibreglass of the thickness & material you think you'll use,
& see what depth it shows with & without the fibreglass up against it.
If you had reasonable results at 1" thick another option may be mounting the
transducer inside the hull & shooting through a small fibreglass viewport.
( my original untried idea )
Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad