[PSUBS-MAILIST] next project

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jul 25 03:43:48 EDT 2018

 Rick,I did not use the arm and I thought I had a problem but didn't actually.  I had the pressure set too high on the first stage regulator causing the second stage regulator to bypass.  I thought the regulator was shot and figured I would just let the actuators flood and fix it when I returned home.  I discovered what happened and turned down the pressure and the second stage regulator was fine.  I expected the arm to stop working because Cliff and I did a 286 foot dive with no air to the arm.  Well to my surprise the arm worked just fine even after being so deep without air compensation.  The arm worked for the week and when I returned home I tore the actuators down expecting a ton of water to come out and amazingly there was only about a teaspoon of water in each actuator.  I dried them out with air and rinsed them out with WD-40 and they are good to go.  My plan is and always was to oil compensate them, that is why I have a makeshift  air supply set up.  A friend has a single air bag from a suspension system for me and I will use that full of oil to allow the actuators to open and close freely.Hank