[PSUBS-MAILIST] Mechanical Depth Gauges

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jul 30 19:21:06 EDT 2018

 Doug,I am willing to help eat the pie ;-)Hank
    On Monday, July 30, 2018, 5:17:08 PM MDT, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Doug,
arduino is the big thing in hobby electronics. It's a tiny computer board
that is designed to interact with the environment. Ie. you might have various
sensors like pressure, motion, light, or a switch etc that send a signal into the
arduino & the arduino outputs some action depending on the program you
write & the outputs you add to it. It is used a lot in robotics. The programming
language is reasonably simple & designed for beginners & hobbyists.
My local electronics store has a couple of stands full of sensors etc for it.
There are a number of arduino boards, uno, mega, duo etc.
It is like the raspberry pi but not as powerful. There are other more powerful
boards than raspberry pi on the market.
  If you bought a pressure sensor with a 4-20ma or 0-5V output you could
wire it to the arduino board & calibrate that signal into a depth range that is
outputed to an led screen, and also sets off an alarm at a certain depth.
There are good on line courses on it on UDEMY.
I was going to buy a plc ( industrial computer) but are now going to do
everything with arduino, raspberry pi etc.
Jon, Cliff & others are a lot more competent than I am with this, so there
would be plenty of help if you wanted to go that route.