[PSUBS-MAILIST] Next summer, Lake Jocassee, SC gathering?

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jun 7 22:05:54 EDT 2018

Hi Brian,

I remember you being delighted by Jocassee lake after visiting with Harold.
It looks incredibly similar to Summersville Lake in WV, which was my
favorite until I took Snoopy to Seneca. They're both created by a damn,
both have limestone cliffs, reportedly similar visibility, etc. The scenery
and shore look exactly the same (both wonderful). Jocassee has the
advantage of local support, which we don't have at Summersville but do at
Seneca. Personally I'd vote for Seneca again, because it does have one
thing that Summersville doesn't, and that's that the visibility remains
good even right after massive rain. At Summersville the visibility is good,
but only if the weather has been dry. Perhaps man made lakes get a lot more
runoff than ones that have been around since the last ice age. I wonder
whether Jocassee might be similarly fragile. Any idea?

Here's a very old Snoopy video shot in Summersville:
https://vimeo.com/18184179

And here's one in Seneca right after days of deluge:
https://vimeo.com/131692448

What I really like about Seneca is that the green gives way to blue at
depth, so it feels like the ocean down there.

Best,
Alec

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 6:25 PM, Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles <