[PSUBS-MAILIST] Cold verses Hot rolled Tee rings

River Dolfi via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jun 13 12:38:05 EDT 2018

Cold rolled steel has a higher yield strength than hot rolled. For steel
plate from the mill, that difference is significant. I do not know how much
weaker the hot rolled rings would be than cold, or if it matters.

I'm pretty sure the ABS design calculations don't take this additional
strength into account. It's my understanding that in experimental tests
those formulae tend to give rather conservative estimates of collapse
depth, which is on purpose. Sean might be able to tell you in more detail.

-River J. Dolfi